Saturday, July 6, 2019

The Elk Prince Triple IPA by Anchorage Brewing Company

10.4% ABV
Beer Advocate score - 4.14/5
Untappd score 4.24/5

22A. Double IPA (Triple is in same category)

An intensely hoppy, fairly strong pale ale without the big, rich, complex maltiness and residual sweetness and body of an American barleywine. Strongly hopped, but clean, dry, and lacking harshness. Drinkability is an important characteristic; this should not be a heavy, sipping beer.

Shipment from Tavour - Hails from Anchorage, Alaska

I chose this one from Tavour 'cause of the name of the beer. I mean, seriously, The Elk Prince is just a cool name. It definitely impresses upon you that it is bad ass and decadent at the same time. And the artwork on the can is amazing. I tried to capture the beautiful artwork but I don't think I did it any justice. Oh well, you win some and you lose some...but I don't consider it a loss 'cause beer! On to the review!

Aroma: I noticed pineapple, mango and delicious hops that made the citrus fruits pop. While it is mostly citrus, a little resin on the back end balanced it out.  9

Appearance: Pours out a light orange color which is topped with a thick, pillowy white head. It's hazy, like watered down orange juice with no pulp.  8.8

Flavor: Interesting. Not overly sweet or bitter. I guess that means well balanced. The resin hits first but mainly a citrus profile. Has decent biscuit malt profile throughout. Super crushable despite the high ABV.   9

Mouthfeel: Dry and smooth. Very refreshing and not as heavy as other high ABV beers are. Not as much carbonation as a Brut IPA but close. 8.7

Overall: So, yeah, Anchorage Brewing definitely knows what they are doing. This beer has everything I look for in a high ABV beer during the summertime. Refreshing citrus flavors that are well balanced with the bitterness of the hops... which makes it super crushable. It left me wishing I had another when I got to the bottom of my glass. Probably the best IPA I've ever had. No joke.  8.8

Matt's mark: 4.43/5

No comments:

Post a Comment