Thursday, July 18, 2019

Pseudo Sue Pale Ale from Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.

6.8% ABV 50 IBU's
Beer Advocate score - 4.51/5
Untappd score 4.18/5

18B. American Pale Ale

A pale, refreshing and hoppy ale, yet with sufficient supporting malt to make the beer balanced and drinkable. The clean hop presence can reflect classic or modern American or New World hop varieties with a wide range of characteristics. An average-strength hop-forward pale American craft beer, generally balanced to be more accessible than modern American IPAs.

Shipment from Tavour - Hails from Decorah, Iowa

Tavour was offering a lot of IPA's and Stout's... I mean a lot. So when they offered a plain ol' Pale Ale, I jumped at the chance to pick it up. Don't get me wrong, I like IPA's and Stouts (as evidenced from previous posts), but I needed to expand my horizons for my beer reviews. And this one has a dinosaur on the can! How cool is that! On to the review!

Aroma: Forward hoppy-ness aromas consisting mainly of the citrus varieties. Mostly mango... yep, smells like a mango kart. 7.8

Appearance: For a "Pale Ale", it's not very pale. More of a dark golden to a light copper color. Add a dash more tint to it, you could confuse with an amber. It's a hazy brew with a 1/2 inch white head.  7

Flavor: Mild citrus bitterness at the forefront (can tell they used my favorite hop, Citra). The flavor constists mostly of mango. Kinda tastes like a cross between a hazy IPA and a pale ale. Decent malt backbone balances it out.  8

Mouthfeel: Smooth and not as dry as an IPA, more like a pale ale...which it is marketed as. Crushable and refreshing.   7.8

Overall: Toppling Goliath has a good brew here. The overall score may not reflect how much I actually enjoyed it. I think if they marketed as a hazy IPA, the score would probably be a few points higher resembling more the Untappd score. Definitely a crushable brew on a Sunday afternoon. I should mention the Beer Advocate score is much higher than it should be... some knucklehead rated it 4.98! I am thinking some bias was added to that one.  7.7

Matt's mark: 3.83/5

No comments:

Post a Comment