Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Tropic Pines IPA by Bend Brewing Company

65 IBU 6.5% ABV
Beer Advocate score - N/A
Untappd score 3.8/5

21A. American IPA

A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale, showcasing modern American or New World hop varieties. The balance is hopforward, with a clean fermentation profile, dryish finish, and clean, supporting malt allowing a creative range of hop character to shine through.

Found at The Bier Stein

I don't get out to the High Desert much here in Oregon. I have passed through Bend maybe 10 times in my 38 years...but I do have a beer pub crawl on my bucket list. I decided on Tropic Pines from Bend Brewing mainly because I have never had one of their beers. The cans always look festive and cheery, something you would drink on a warm summer (or spring) evening. Luckily, we've had those for the past two weeks! On to the review!

Aroma: I smell grapefruit, orange peel, pine needles and floral hops. The pine needle aroma might come from the pine branches I moved earlier but who really knows?  7

Appearance: Pours out slightly hazy (gone are the days of no haze) with a golden straw body and a creamy white head. The head dissipates slowly and has nice lacing  7.5

Flavor: A solid tasting profile of grapefruit and hop bitterness with a touch of earth. It's mainly the grapefruit though.   7

Mouthfeel: Dry and smooth. Very refreshing as citrus beers are want to be.  8

Overall: Bend Brewing does a solid job with the slightly hazy Tropic Pines. While not the best IPA I have had, it was quite refreshing and I wish I had another one on hand...I did have the Ching Ching Sour though, that was a nice consolation prize.  7.4

Matt's mark: 3.69/5

No comments:

Post a Comment