Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Buoy Beer Company's Cream Ale

19 IBU 5.7% ABV
Beer Advocate - 3.78/5
Untappd - 3.55

1C. Cream Ale

A clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American “lawnmower” beer. Easily drinkable and refreshing, with more character than typical American lagers.

Beer found at the Market of Choice.

I remember the first time I discovered Buoy Beer. They had just opened up in Astoria, Oregon on the boardwalk along the water. The Missus and I were in town (I was running the 10K, the missus was wondering why I signed up for the 10K) and it was the day before the race and we were looking for good beer. We knew about Fort George but we had already passed it and didn't want to turn around. So we tried it...and it was good. So, of course, I decided to try it again. I bought the 6 pack and then promptly signed up for the 10K in Astoria right after. I am always looking for a reason to travel to Astoria. On to the review!

Aroma: It's mostly slightly sweet grains with hints of earthy hops and a dash of vanilla. The vanilla a little unusual for this style.  7

Appearance: An inch thick white head sitting on top of a clear golden straw brew. Beautiful.  8.5

Flavor: Tastes almost exactly like its aroma. Slightly sweet malt/grains, vanilla creaminess and a touch of hops on the back end. Nicely balanced. 7.5

Mouthfeel: Not heavy, somewhere between low to medium. Has nice carbonation and a light, dry finish.  7

Overall: Buoy does a solid job with this brew. It does a nice job of quenching your thirst while also providing more flavor than a lager. I'll take that every day of the week. Although, 5.7% is a little high ABV for a lawnmower beer... but I am not complaining. I am not going to lie, I also wanted to see how it stacked up against my go to from Pelican Brewing. Not quite there but not far behind. 7.5


Matt's mark: 3.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment