Monday, April 15, 2019

Ommegang Brewery's King in the North Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout

Game of Thrones Royal Reserve Collection

11% ABV
Beer Advocate score - 4.05/5
Untappd score 3.94/5

20C. Imperial Stout

An intensely-flavored, big, dark ale with a wide range of flavor balances and regional interpretations. Roasty-burnt malt with deep dark or dried fruit flavors, and a warming, bittersweet finish. Despite the intense flavors, the components need to meld together to create a complex, harmonious beer, not a hot mess.

Found at Market of Choice

If I need to explain why I chose this brew for this week's review, you're obviously not a Game of Thrones fan. I know I am not alone in imbibing this treat for the premiere of the last season. That is all. Now on to the review!

Aroma:  First whiff of this one and I knew it was going to be good. Mainly Bourbon and vanilla up front. Rounded out with chocolate and coffee. Salivation occurs instantly.  9

Appearance:   It's not tar black. More of a really deep dark coffee color with red hues to it. Very pretty. Has a thick tan head to go along with it.  8

Flavor:  I feel like this is exactly the same as the aroma. Bourbon and vanilla up front with chocolate and coffee afterwards. The boozy bourbon floats back in at the end. Stellar.  9

Mouthfeel:  Thick, coats the tongue. Does have a nice creaminess.  8

Overall:   I must be kin with the King of the North 'cause it feels like Ommegang made this for me. I just love a big boozy imperial stout and this one does not disappoint. If I had one complaint, just a tad too sweet. Not cloyingly sweet, so it does not detract from the brew that much...if at all. A great companion (along with the Missus) for the premiere of the final season of GoT (which, of course, we immediately watched again as soon as it ended). 8.5


Matt's mark: 4.25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment