Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Monkless Belgian Ales Dubbel or Nothing

Belgian-Style Dubbel Ale

7.2% ABV 23 IBU's
Beer Advocate - 3.79/5
Untappd - 3.78/5


26B. Belgian Dubbel

A deep reddish-copper, moderately strong, malty, complex Trappist ale with rich malty flavors, dark or dried fruit esters, and light alcohol blended together in a malty presentation that still finishes fairly dry.

Purchased at Market of Choice

Believe it or not, but this is the first time I've had anything from Monkless. Many people in the know (beer snobs, which I include myself now) have recommended them to me countless times. I would see a bottle of their brew and get distracted by a barrel aged brew every time. Can you blame me? I mean, really, can you? But finally! A Monkless brew to review. On to it then.

Aroma: It has a mild spicy floral with hint of citrus in the aroma to my nose, which, admittedly, deceives me this time of the year. Too many flowery things growing outside. The missus says there is the tiniest hint of coffee but I didn't detect it myself.    7

Appearance:  A nice darker amber color but is not a clean beer with a little haze. It has a good head at least an inch thick (probably thicker) that slowly dissipates. Decent amount of lacing.  7

Flavor: Nice malty backbone. Has a bit of raisin (where the hell did I get citrus from?) and some caramel character. Finishes off with some toast. Well rounded flavors. The bottle does say hints of chocolate but I call shenanigans on that.   8

Mouthfeel: A nice dry finish with the right amount of carbonation for the style. Leaves me wanting more on each sip...I like that.  8

Overall: Well, the beer snobs were not wrong, Monkless makes a solid Dubbel. It doesn't blow you away by any means but I don't think that is what they are going for. It is a nice, consistent brew trying to adhere to the style guidelines... to which Monkless did an impressive job. I would drink this anytime, anywhere.  7.5

Matt's mark: 3.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment