Thursday, December 13, 2018

Life's a Peach & Then You Die Peach Milkshake IPA from Riverbend Brewing Company

65 IBU 7% ABV
Beer Advocate - 4.02
Untappd - 3.92

21B. Specialty IPA

Recognizable as an IPA by balance – a hop-forward, bitter, dryish beer – with something else present to distinguish it from the standard categories. Should have good drinkability, regardless of the form. Excessive harshness and heaviness are typically faults, as are strong flavor clashes between the hops and the other specialty ingredients.

Beer found at the Market of Choice.

Surprise! It's a midweek beer review! I couldn't decide last week what brew I wanted between the Brut IPA and the NE Style (Hazy) IPA. So I came home with both! So, here we go!

Aroma: Big on the sweet fragrance of peach and mild citrus. The hops give it a nice dankness.  8

Appearance: Chunky and hazy (living up to it's name I guess). It actually looks like pulp floating around in golden hazy liquid. Have to admit, it doesn't look appetizing to me. The head is almost non-existent.   5.5

Flavor: Good hop resiny bitterness up front that quickly goes away. It leads to a fair amount of peachy sweetness (from the lactose I presume) with just a hint of vanilla on the back end. A decently balanced brew. 7

Mouthfeel: Astonishingly smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a smoothie. A little weird in a beer but definitely not unpleasant. I am taking a wild guess that oats were used in the mash to create some of the feeling (along with the lactose).  7

Overall: This was my first NE Style IPA. I thought it was an enjoyable experience. I have to admit though, I don't think I am a huge fan of the distinctive look of a hazy IPA. It just looks messy to me. Maybe I am just a curmudgeon and have no idea what I am talking about...it IS all the rage you know. Well, I do have an idea of a way around this problem (cause it is a problem and I do like the flavor), I could just drink the beer from the can! That way I don't have to see it. Look at me solving my problems! (pats self on back) 7


Matt's mark: 3.45/5

No comments:

Post a Comment