Sunday, January 19, 2020

Duchesse Chocolate Cherry by Brouwerij Verhaeghe



Beer Advocate - 4.18/5
Untappd - 4.07/5

23B. Flanders Red Ale

A sour, fruity, red wine-like Belgianstyle ale with interesting supportive malt flavors and fruit complexity. The dry finish and tannin completes the mental image of a fine red wine.

Purchased from Tavour - Hails from Vichte, Belgium.

So I have this thing against the Flanders Red style. I had a bad experience once and for some reason or another, I couldn't let it go. I vowed to never again, try another Flanders Red. Tavour then offered up this particular ale and I ended up with it...without realizing that it was indeed a Flanders Red. I guess it's time to find out what I though...On to the review!

Appearance: The coloring of the brew is that of a lighter Pinot Noir but not quite a Rosé. The head is, of course, the coloring of a Rosé. Looks inviting.  8.6

Aroma: An inviting tart aroma that has notes of cherry and chocolate with an earthiness. Maybe from the oak casks.  8

Flavor: The tartness of the cherry combined with the loveliness of the chocolate is quite delicious. Has a touch of oak and vanilla.  8.2

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp with a the perfect, light carbonation. Has a nice, dry finish.  8

Overall: Huh. I guess I shouldn't base an entire style of beer on just one sample. This Flanders Red Ale was delicious and I wish I had another right now. I am curious as to how the regular Duchesse (without the chocolate cherry part) would mingle with my taste buds. If I can find it, I will give it a go.  8.2

Matt's mark: 4.1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment