Monday, October 28, 2019

Red Thistle ESB from Golden Valley Brewery

40 IBU 5.5% ABV
Beer Advocate score - 3.28/5
Untappd score 3.53
/5

11C. Strong Bitter

An average-strength to moderatelystrong British bitter ale. The balance may be fairly even between malt and hops to somewhat bitter. Drinkability is a critical component of the style. A rather broad style that allows for considerable interpretation by the brewer.

Found at The Bier Stein - Hails from McMinville, OR

This brewery has been around since 1993...and yet, I hadn't heard of them. So, I saw this bottle on the shelf and said, "I've never heard of this brewery, I think I will give them a try." Sometimes, that is the only reason you need to pick out a beer. And you can never go wrong with an ESB...or could you? On to the review!

Appearance:  A light amber to copper coloring with a fingers width ivory head. Bright and clear. I thought it would be a tad darker.  7.5

Aroma: Not much to say about the aroma other than a heavy dose of malt and an astringent herbal note.   6

Flavor:  It's a lightly toasted malt flavor with little to no bittering. Fairly sweet for this style of beer.   6

Mouthfeel:  It's light to medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation. Not as smooth as I would like. 7

Overall:  Golden Valley touts this as a flagship brew...I think it has the potential to be one. It's not bad but I think it needs to tone down the sweetness and bring up the bitter level. It says it has 40 IBU's. I couldn't tell. That's a little bit of a problem but is easily fixed with a few tweaks to the recipe. I definitely wouldn't say no to having another one as is though. 6.65

Matt's mark: 3.32/5

No comments:

Post a Comment