Friday, June 21, 2019

Straight Outta Mashville Brown Ale by Matchless Brewing

4.6% ABV
Beer Advocate - 3.84/5
Untappd - 3.69/5

13B. British Brown Ale:
A malty, brown caramel-centric British ale without the roasted flavors of a Porter.

Found at the Market of Choice

I just love the label on this one. The ABV is nothing to write home about so something had to draw me to this particular brew. An electric cowboy riding an electric bull with a funny play on words for the name of the brew? It has to be a delicious, right? Right? On to the review!

Aroma: My detector noticed malt (good to have for brown's), a little hint of chocolate and some toasty biscuit. Got a little bit of coffee as well...  7.1

Appearance: It's definitely darker than a brown ale...more like a porter than anything else. Nice 1/2 inch head with good lacing.  7

Flavor: Biscuit and malt. Hints of chocolate, toffee and coffee. Now, I made be a little bit crazy in saying this, but seems more porter like in general.  7.2

Mouthfeel: Light bodied for sure. An easy drinking, sessionable beer.  7.1

Overall: I must say that this brew is not bad...quite solid actually. I am not quite sure I would categorize it as a brown ale though. Just seems to be more of a porter to me. It's darker than brown and has a few flavor characteristics of a porter. Maybe the "Mashville" is a mashup of the two styles?I think I am on to something here.  7.1


Matt's mark: 3.55/5

No comments:

Post a Comment