Monday, June 10, 2019

Dragons & Yum Yums by Dogfish Head Brewery

In collaboration with The Flaming Lips

25 IBU 6.5% ABV
Beer Advocate - 3.67/5
Untappd - 3.62/5

18B. American Pale Ale: A pale, refreshing and hoppy ale, yet with sufficient supporting malt to make the beer balanced and drinkable. The clean hop presence can reflect classic or modern American or New World hop varieties with a wide range of characteristics. An average-strength hop-forward pale American craft beer, generally balanced to be more accessible than modern American IPAs.

Found at the Market of Choice

For this brew, I wanted to find something fun. Then I had a flashback to my Meat Department days when I actually worked for the Market of Choice...Dogfish Head does wonderful and fun beers! I had the Midas Touch circa 2009 and it was beautifully delicious. So, I scoured the bottles with my eyes and found Dragons & Yum Yums. It definitely looks fun with dragons and rainbows and flaming lips and stuff. On to the review!

Aroma: A very fruit forward beer. So much so, I can't pick out anything in particular. All I can say is it starts off sweet and tails into a bit of tartness. Nothing fancy.   7

Appearance:  It's a beautiful looking brew. Almost Rosé like. Not quite as pink and a little darker but yeah, Rosé like. It has a bright white head that contrasts beautifully.   8.5

Flavor: Definitely fruity. Surprisingly, there is little sweetness and not as tart as I would like. My palate can't discern individual fruits...has too much going on. Drinkable though.  6.5

Mouthfeel: It is a light bodied brew, which is typical of a fruity beer. Not as smooth as I would like for a summer drinking companion.   6

Overall: Well, I thought the idea of the brew was fun. Turns out, even a venerable brewery like Dogfish Head can have non-kaplowy beers. It's totally drinkable, I just think it has too many flavors going on...which is bound to happen when you have 5 different fruits and vegetable (yes, black carrot juice) going in. I do applaud them for trying it though. You never know when you might stumble on something brilliant. This one was probably released to the masses cause of it's collaboration with The Flaming Lips to drive sales.  7


Matt's mark: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment