Saturday, March 9, 2019

Cetacea Saison with Szechuan Peppercorns by Yachats Brewing


6.6% ABV
Beer Advocate score - n/a
Untappd score 3.88/5

25B. Saison

Most commonly, a pale, refreshing, highly-attenuated, moderately-bitter, moderate-strength Belgian ale with a very dry finish. Typically highly carbonated, and using non-barley cereal grains and optional spices for complexity, as complements the expressive yeast character that is fruity, spicy, and not overly phenolic. Less common variations include both lower-alcohol and higher-alcohol products, as well as darker versions with additional malt character.

Found at the Market of Choice

I had been eyeing this particular brew for about a month now. I just love the label...and also Saison's of course. I haven't had a Yachats Brewing beer for a couple or three years because I don't get out to the coast much and they can be fairly spendy on the shelf. This time though, the label won me over...and of course, it being a Saison. I also thought it was a pretty cool name (named after a diverse group of of aquatic mammals)...and also the fact that it's a Saison. On to the review!

Aroma:  A spicy floral on the nose with a decent malt back bone. Smooths out to a nice touch of sweet citrus on the back end.  7.75

Appearance:  Has a nice harvest gold color with a thick inch head that leaves medium lacing as it dissipates. A little hazy.  7.5

Flavor:  The missus says it's goaty and barnyardy. It does have an aroma reminiscent of a farm (it is a farmhouse ale after all), but I didn't detect any goat though. More of a straw with sweet citrus and a subtle (and I mean subtle) bite of the peppercorn. Definitely interesting.  7.75

Mouthfeel:  Dry, crisp and easy drinking. Not as highly carbonated as I thought it was going to be but not off putting at all.  8

Overall:  A solid offering from Yachats Brewing. I found it to be an interesting addition to the Saison family. The brew marked off all the check marks for a Saison but it might be awhile until I purchase another one of these though. Kinda a steep price to pay for a pint of beer at $10 a bottle.  7.75

Matt's mark: 3.88/5

No comments:

Post a Comment