Monday, September 24, 2018

Coldfire Bourbon Council Imperial Stout

10.5% ABV Bottled Spring 2018
Beer Advocate score - 4.33/5
Untappd score 4.2/5

20C. Imperial Stout

An intensely-flavored, big, dark ale with a wide range of flavor balances and regional interpretations. Roasty-burnt malt with deep dark or dried fruit flavors, and a warming, bittersweet finish. Despite the intense flavors, the components need to meld together to create a complex, harmonious beer, not a hot mess.

As you recall from last week, I bought two bottles of beer at the Bier Stein. This is that bottle, this is that review. An Imperial Stout aged in a mixture of Bourbon barrels for up to 2 years... uh, yes please!

Aroma: Definitely cocoa, coffee and bourbon on the nose. Layered behind the dark, roast malt at the forefront. I started to drool a little.  9.25

Appearance: Nice darkness to this brew. Like a cup of full bodied coffee. Medium creamy tan head with medium lacing.  9

Flavor: Tastes just as good as it smells. Slightly sweet dark roasted malt on the first sip with layers of cocoa, coffee, vanilla and some oaky bourboness at the back end.    9.3

Mouthfeel: Creamy texture with light carbonation and a full body. A smooth finish. A nice sipping drink that warms a little.  9

Overall: Uh, I need to buy more of this stuff. It was just perfect. Well, not perfect as anything can be improved upon. But I don't know how you would do it on this one. Good job, Coldfire. Good job.  9.15

Matt's mark: 4.57/5

This was the perfect beer to go along with the busy, crazy and weird weekend. Busy in that I bottled a blueberry wine, a blackberry port and brewed another batch of my wife's favorite beer (while still working on the porch bench). The crazy was from the wild finish of the Oregon football game... I am still hurting inside from that one. As my older brother said, "they weren't fumbles, they were tragedies and mortal sins." Couldn't agree more. Catching defeat from the clutches of victory. And finally, weird. Our daughter moved out for college this weekend. What the hell!? Am I really that old? To cope, my wife and I watched two movies... the 2nd and 3rd installment of the Twilight series... yes, you read that right, no judging. The movies are actually tolerable when you have consumed a large, high ABV beer. Like I said, no judging.

No comments:

Post a Comment